Many women have not attempted to try using liquid eyeliner because they are worried that it may take longer or be harder to clean and apply correctly. The truth is that with all eye makeup, in order to get the professional clean look you are after, you need to spend as much time as you can practicing. The following is a list of top tips to help you learn how to apply liquid eyeliner like the makeup pros:
1. If you would like to have a dramatic style that really emphasizes your eyes, you could try Maybelline’s black liquid eyeliner and create a winged style or cats eye look.
2. Want the look of a glam queen? Try using a glitter eyeliner on the top of your eyelids with a black eyeliner on your lower inner rims.
3. Practice, practice, practice. If you are not sure of the best way to run your liquid eyeliner across your eyes, you can find videos on youtube that will show you how to try new looks such as the cats eye or any of the other techniques that may appeal to you. Always be sure to have a pile of cotton swabs/q-tips close by to clean up any smudges around the edges or if your hand is not as steady as you would like and misjudge the thickness of your lines.
4. Make sure you go with the color of your skin. If you have pale skin, you would be better off choosing a brown eyeliner instead of a dark color or black. If you do have a hard time trying to draw on thin lines, you can try applying a thicker line and then use your q-tips to thin out the line and leave the skinny line that you are after.
5. You may find it easier to draw a straight line with a regular light eyeliner pencil and then once it is straight follow over that line with your darker liquid eyeliner. This may help with lines that appear less jagged or clumpy giving it a more professional appearance.
6. Some people prefer a lighter look with their eyes than a complete line drawn out with liquid eyeliner. If you prefer to have the color of your eyes stand out, you could try drawing a fine line with an eyeliner pencil and then just use a darker liquid eyeliner covering the outer edges of your eyes.
7. Another great tip for applying liquid eyeliner that will not smudge so much is to apply your mascara first and then rest the brush on your lashes for more support when drawing the line on your lids.
8. If you would like your makeup to last longer, try applying a swipe of moisturizer to your lids first and then add your liquid eyeliner and eyeshadow.
9. If you do not want to cover your complete eyelid with eyeshadow, then you could choose to use a brown or black eyeshadow and run a thin line across the base of your upper eyelid as you would with an eyeliner pencil or liquid eyeliner brush. You can then draw a thin line from the middle of your lower lash base to the outer edge to add a bit more of a dramatic look and bring out the color of your eyes.
10. Most professional makeup artists choose to apply eyeliner before applying any of the other eye makeup to the face. Remember that when applying liquid liner, you only have approximately 5 seconds after application to fix mistakes or smudges or it will dry making it harder to wipe off.